Monday, May 31, 2010

Goodbye's

As we are working hard to pack our trunks to go home, we are also making the rounds with our friends here and are saying goodbyes.

Our upstairs neighbor, Trufosa, has been pregnant the whole time we have been here and she finally delivered a couple weeks ago! However, the baby suffered seizures and stayed in the neonatal nursery for two weeks. Thankfully, the little baby girl Gracious is ok and home now. We pray she will have a full recovery and not suffer from anymore seizures. I brought her some of Liam's clothes, sleepers and socks. Trufosa was so grateful and we shared some millet porridge (uji: "oojee").



Monday was our final play group all together! The other Missionary kids and moms are here for two years, but we all arrived around the same time, in the fall and winter. These girls have been great friends for me and I will miss them. The three families make up a group of physicians who have committed to serving together in Africa. They are currently seeking the Lord and doing research on where they should plant roots. Their last names are McLaughlin, Cropsey, and Fader, so they lovingly call themselves The McCropDers.



Here outside our house is Heather Fader with Abi and Anna, Me with Liam, Rachel McLaughlin with Maggie, and Jessica Cropsey with Elise and Micah. I set out what food and toiletries I had left and they went "shopping" at the Banks Market! We are hoping to leave as much as possible here for others to use and enjoy.

Last night we had Nancy and Alfred over for dinner and chai. It just so happened that Alfred's brother, Raymond, (the short one) as well as Nancy's cousin Robert, (the tall one) were also visiting. So, we had a big group!

I served Taco Soup with rice and chapati (that I actually made myself!). Usually Nancy makes our chapati because she had been making it since she was a little girl, but I wanted to make sure I could do it before we go home, so I made her leave the kitchen and let me do it! I should have started practicing much earlier, but it is a long process, so I was always happy to have Nancy's help before. They tasted fine, but were a little "crunchier" than hers. I asked at dinner what I did wrong and she said she will tell me in private. Raymond agreed that is "women's talk." They all got a kick out of washing their hands in our sink with soap and drinking soda with the meal.

After dinner, we enjoyed chai while we looked at pictures of our Kericho trip and remembered the fun times. They kept saying "I shall remember those days." They each thanked us and asked us to come back soon and forever. We gave them a suitcase that was left behind by Riley and Luke when they visited. It was broken, but is fixable locally. They were so happy and surprised! But, the bigger surprise was inside where I had stuffed it with several of Liam's clothes, socks, blankets, toys, and some food. Most of Liam's things were gifts to us, and I know all our family and friends would be more than happy for these items to be passed on to some Kenyans who are in need of such things. Other clothes will be given to an orphanage.

Nancy and Alfred recently found out they are having a boy! They have decided to name their son Kipchumba, which means "born when whites are around." Although we will not be here when she delivers in July, we have arranged for a friend to take pictures and send them to us. They have been a wonderful bridge to the Kenyan culture in which we have been living. We told them they are like our Kenyan family and they thought that was so funny and said "oh but we are so dark!" We had a lovely evening full of laughter.

Today is our last full day and we will be busy packing and doing last minute things. (In fact, I should not be spending this much time blogging right now!) Tonight we have dinner with the Manchesters, who have been wonderful friends and mentors while we have been here. Steve is a Family Practice doctor and Teresa leads the weekly bible study I have enjoyed. Pictured with them here is Peter, one of their three sons.

Goodbyes are always sad, and of course we are not looking forward to the flight ahead of us! This could possibly be our last blog before we fly out tomorrow night. Please pray for us, and especially Liam, on this long journey we face. We look forward to seeing family and friends very soon!

2 comments:

  1. Praying for your heart transition and physical safety on the way home. And praying for sweet Liam (and his parents) during the flight! I cannot believe I will be able to talk to you on the phone in a few days (Lord willing)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I'll miss reading your blog, which
    I found through the Fader's (Word and Deed). I've enjoyed your stories and energy! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete