Saturday, February 27, 2010

"Dry" Season

It is currently the "dry" season. However, and thankfully, it has been raining everyday! So, I'm not sure if that means the dry season is over, or it is just not so dry this year. Either way we are thankful for the rain.

So how does that effect our daily life? Well, we do not have a dryer for our clothes. We do have a washing machine, which is amazing and for that we are thankful. All our clothes hang to dry outside everyday. It gives them a nice "crunch", but a freshness nonetheless. Recently it is a daily ritual that the rains start mid-day. It happens so quickly. It will be sunny one minute, then the clouds roll in and the tall African trees start rustling. Before you know it, the skies open and water, sometimes even hail, pour out. As my luck would have it, it happens approximately 5 or 6 minutes after Nancy leaves for her lunch. So I am left to rush outside in the wind and yank the clothes off the line. No problem. Except I don't want to leave Liam alone for a minute. We will discuss that shortly. He is walking, but not quickly enough to run out to the line and back. So, I throw him into the laundry basket and run across the mud and grass. The faster I pile clothes on top of him, the more likely he will remain seated. I think he kinda enjoys the ride and gets a kick out of seeing Mommy hustle and bustle so quickly.



If we don't catch it in time, we just call the rain "a second rinse cycle." Usually I do get the damp clothes inside. But now what? Our house is turned into something resembling the UN, but instead of colorful flags, our dingy towels and fading clothes. Maybe it looks more like a garage sale.



Liam is a good helper, but his "helping" is usually undoing, unfolding, and overall adding to the mess. I have been reading online about all these solutions to your baby getting into things. They tell me to create a "yes" environment by babyproofing your home. Great idea! The problem is, there is no Babies R Us, Wal-Mart, or Target in rural Kenya to purchase all the items they tell me I need for my child's proper development. So, I resort to tying Logan's socks on cabinet doors. The problem is, socks stretch. Liam has figured out how to pull it open just enough to squeeze his little arm through the door. He handed me a bottle of Window cleaner he worked hard to get this morning, so I duct taped our kitchen cabinets closed so I could tackle the sink full of dishes without worrying about Liam. Little did I know, he is stronger than duct tape! Next week Riley and Luke arrive and I hear they are bringing some items from my parents which includes baby proof guards! Yea! I look forward to it. And our Liam will not suffer emotional damage caused by a lack of "yes environment!"



Daddy is on call all weekend long, so Liam and I are left to fend for ourselves. We will miss spending time with him. Liam sure loves to wrestle with Logan. They are a fun pair.

I pray the Lord will continue to give me the ability to be flexible and laugh at things that I am tempted to stress about. May the Lord continue to pour out His Living Water to keep me from a dry season, spiritually. I thank God for His refreshing water, seen and unseen!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post - I'm sure Liam would much rather ride the laundry bump-o-magic than do anything else :) It sounds like you are doing a WONDERFUL job and any environment you create, "Yes" or otherwise, has always been beautiful, loving, warm and full of creative life - Liam could not be in better hands. But, supplies are on the way. Mom and Dad have been working like crazy to get everything just right on your list and in a suitcase under the weight limit. The Banks family has been working hard as well - both families are working together and with much ripe anticipation of the mini Banks clan heading over to visit... help is on the way! I love you sister.

    ReplyDelete