Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happy Anniversary!


Today is our 4th Anniversary! We can not believe it! On our Anniversary, I am reminded that from day one the Lord had purposed for our lives and marriage to be committed to serving Him.

Logan and I met at Missouri Scholars Academy, an academic summer camp for 330 high school sophomores from all over the state of Missouri. We hit it off as friends and remained in touch through letters (yes like paper, pen, stamps) and eventually email. Lucky for me, Logan's brother Luke moved to Branson, so we were able to see each other a couple times a year when he would visit Luke, Tracy, and the kids.

Unfortunately I strayed from the Lord's path for several years. Logan remained a follower of Christ and knew his calling to Medical Missions while he was still in undergrad at Truman State University in Kirksville, MO. I chased after some empty dreams touring the US with a theatre company, living in NYC, and singing on a cruise ship. It was always so good to hear from Logan. Butterflies swirled in my stomach when his name popped up in my Inbox every few months. I knew no matter what happened in life, I would always wonder what happened to Logan, where he was, and imagined being jealous of his wife if I ever met her.

Well, the Lord really got a hold of me in August of 2004. I finally surrendered my whole life to Him and felt such release. I was instantly a new person. I had not read my Bible in years, but thought the New Testament would perhaps be easier to understand, so I started there. I kept seeing how people would make a decision to follow Christ and immediately get baptized. Even Jesus himself was baptized before embarking on his Ministry. That's what I needed! I desired a physical "washing" to mirror what I had experienced inside. I flew to Springfield to make up with my parents and to take part in the weekly baptisms at James River Assembly. I went back to NY, but just knew I was not meant to be there anymore. I desired all things Christ, and He was not a part of anything in my life before this time. So I moved back to Missouri.

Days later, I get an email from Logan. "Hey, how's New York? How are auditions?" I hit reply so quickly. "I'm in Missouri!" He called and I told him the story. This is where the lightbulb dings over Logan's head. Fortunately a girl had not snagged him up yet! The Lord gave him the ok to pursue me and we dated 11 months before he proposed.

Now, I knew Logan wanted to do Medical Missions. I knew in my head, but it wasn't until the ring was on my finger that it really hit me. It was as if the Lord said, "You know Julie, if I have called Logan, I have called you too!" At that time I knew I needed to submit to a life of Missions and that we were going to commit our marriage and union from day one to His purpose. In fact, I felt that we should be joined together while serving on a Mission Trip.

Logan had already been planning a 5 week trip to Bolivia. I knew then that I needed to go with him, and that we would serve there together as a "first fruits" of our marriage. So I packed a dress, a veil, and headed to Bolivia!

We did not know where or exactly how it would all happen, but that the Lord was in it. It turned out being a beautiful, stress-free day (see picture above). All I remember is Logan. I was so happy to be joined to him! I couldn't believe I got Logan Banks! How did I get so lucky?!

Well, fast forward 4 years and here we are again on the Mission Field. It is good for me to remember the promises of God over the last few years. We know we are in His hands. When we return in June, we have a 5 year commitment to the state of Missouri, then we are open to what and where the Lord has for us to go. It scares me to say that, but we have to trust the Lord will continue to guide and protect us just as he has been doing the last 4 years.

I am so happy to be married to Logan. He is the best husband a woman could ask for! He is still sick right now, so I can't even give him an Anniversary kiss! We think it is strep throat. Although there are no rapid strep tests here, he has the classic symptoms with high fever, swollen throat and puss. He took a penicillin shot and we hope it will kick in soon. This is starting day 6 of fevers! Liam and I are both well, and please continue to pray for our protection. Logan is eager to get back to work.

We thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Do something special for your spouse today and think of us!

Logan, I love you more than words!
Julie

4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, anniversary twins! What a wonderful day it is to share. I hope Logan is feeling better so you guys can celebrate soon. Thinking of you guys. Love to you and that little Liam!

    Love,
    Colleen (and David too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sitting here in Missouri with tears of joy! I love this story and I always say you two were willing to sacrifice the big wedding but God gave it back ten fold. It was beautiful as you can see from the pictures and full of special memories for a lifetime. Happy Anniversary to a wonderful couple! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story! Isn't it powerful looking back and seeing God's hand at work. I wish we had gotten to hang out with you all more during your time in Wichita, but I am enjoying following your time in Kenya through your blog. I hope Logan feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary-- that is quite a testimony to God's sovereignty and grace for His children. You are SAFE in his hands... no matter where He guides you. There is no better place to be. Praying for Logan's recovery and your smooch soon:)

    ReplyDelete