Sunday, April 4, 2010

Climb Every Mountain

We have completed day two of our Kericho trip. Today we spent the day at Nancy's home. She and her family have been looking forward to this for weeks. She was right, they do live on a hill! In fact, the car could not even make it up, it was so steep. So we parked at the bottom of the hill and walked up. Nancy's mom was waiting for us. She came right up to the window, reached her arms inside and said "Come, baby!" Before I knew it, Liam was in her arms outside of the car and making his way up the green hill to their home. I jumped out and decided to follow closely behind. Logan and Lawrence (our driver) brought our things behind us.

Over the course of the day, there were probably 35-40 people (family and friends) at Nancy's house today. Nancy had told me ahead of time that it would be nice to bring some sugar and flour as a gift for the mother and sweets for the kids. I also wanted to bake something, so Friday night before we left I made over 100 cookies to bring for her family and Alfred's family. Alfred's family did not eat them while we were there, but Nancy's family made a big production about gathering to eat the cookies I had made. They wanted desperately to give one to Liam, so I allowed it. Liam was not too sure at first, but of course loved it once he figured out how to eat it. He does not have sugary treats very often.

The highlight of the day was taking a long hike all the way up their hill after a very large lunch. Just so you know, once you make even the slightest dent in your meal, they quickly refill your plate and cry out "Eat! Eat! More! More!" We were so full we could have passed out, but the walk was even better.

The "hill" is actually the highest point in the whole region. It was like hiking up a small mountain. From the top, we could see three different Kenyan tribes: the Kipsisgis, the Kisii, and Luo (Obama's tribe). In fact, we could see all the way to Lake Victoria, which is almost 80 kilometers away! We could even see Tanzania! It was absolutely breath-taking. Pictures never do scenery justice, but we are posting a couple nonetheless. If you click on the picture, it will magnify, and you can see me walking up the hill. I was slower than Logan because I stayed with Nancy who is very pregnant. Also, the children all wanted to hold my hand. They would fight to get to hold it. If they were not holding my hand, they were behind me jumping up to feel my hair. So I was trying to hold about 6 little hands all while climbing a steep, rocky hill in a floor length dress! It was worth it though. I will not forget that view. Liam, however, fell asleep on Daddy's back. I was so thankful that he did because I was worried about him not getting his nap in today.

Speaking of, Liam did AMAZING! We are constantly impressed with his little personality. He just waves at everyone and goes to anyone who wants to hold him. He was the star of the show today. Everyone wanted to feel his skin. They just examined him so closely thinking it was so funny how pale he was. They fed him probably 6 or 7 bananas! He loves "nanas."

We've had a great time so far, but this is all leading up to the main event tomorrow. We're going to a Kenyan wedding! Raymond, Alfred's brother, is in the wedding party and has invited us. This will be an experience. As we understand, it is an all day affair. We've tried to find out, but there is no clear "start time." It just happens when it happens. Hakuna Matata!

2 comments:

  1. Watch out! We used to give Aletheia some banana nearly every day, until we figured out that's why she had so many very dirty diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so exciting - I don't know what to comment on! What a beautiful adventure. I'm sure the scene from the top of the mountain will echo in your mind for a life time. What a gift to watch Liam be so generous with his attention and affection. I am so excited to hear all about the wedding! I got to attend a Moroccan wedding and it gave me a window into culture like no other - you will love it! Please hug Nancy and Alfred's family and thank them for showing so much love to my loved ones. If only everyone were as hospitable to visitors in a foreign country, this world would be a different place, huh? I am so blessed that you have such sweet friends. I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete