Tuesday, April 27, 2010

It only took me 4 months...


I am not a reptile person. Or any kind of animal or critter person for that matter! Most families here at Tenwek have "pet" chameleons. I have seen plenty and watched kids and adults handle them with ease. They are just a bit too spikey and prickly for me though.

But, last week was a milestone in my journey here! I did in fact touch a chameleon. Maybe I was feeling brave. Or...OK...probably because it was a tiny baby. The Bemms' chameleon had 13 babies, and Liam and I decided to check them out!

Liam was as unsure as I was! But, I would give him just a few months, and he will probably be coming home with frogs in his pockets and a lizard on his arm! For now, we will stick with baby chameleons enjoyed from a short distance away!

1 comment:

  1. julie!!! i'm so glad you stopped by my blog!! i have been checking in on yours and love seeing all the wonderful things yall are doing in AFRICA!!!!

    we have lizards in NOLA . . . and you are definitely braver than i am!!! we had a little tiny albino gecko in our house a couple of weeks ago . . . and the girls and i were camped out on the sofa until we fooled ourselves into thinking he went back outside on his own! :O)

    liam is just precious . . . and i can't believe how big he's getting!!!

    i'm so thankful for blogs and FB so i can keep up with what everyone is up to . . . so much fun!!!

    love,
    em

    ReplyDelete