Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sharing the Love

Last night we had a unique opportunity to bless our friends Eric and Rachel McLaughlin. It's Rachel's birthday! The thing about living in rural Kenya, there are no restaurants, flower shops, or any other place a guy can go to or use to make their wife's birthday special. So, I decided to offer to be the "restaurant" that Eric could take Rachel to for her birthday dinner!

So I did some "shopping" at Theresa Manchester's house. She is a long-term missionary who has really reached out to me. Plus, we both share the love of "go big or don't go" for parties, presentation, and the like! I borrowed a tablecloth, candle holders, large goblets, cloth napkins with napkin rings, and a couple food items.

The McLaughlins put Maggie, their 9 month old, down for the night and Logan went and sat at their place for the evening. When they arrived at Restaurant Banks, the lights were dim, candles were lit, and romantic music was playing off our computer (which had a picture of them on the screen saver!) They were greeted with Ugali chips, queso, and homemade salsa. I mixed chopped tomato, onion, garlic, hot green chilis, red, green, and yellow bell peppers, fresh cilantro, vinegar, lemon juice, and cumin, salt, pepper, and sugar. It turned out pretty well and I don't even have a blender! I served Pina Coladas in the chilled goblets as well. I had poured coconut and pinnapple juices into a mini muffin tin to get frozen chunks. Then I added coconut milk, milk, water and real coconut until I was happy with the taste and consistency. Little did I know, Pina Coladas are a favorite of Rachel's!



I served Verde Chicken Enchilladas wrapped in homemade tortillas. They turned out slightly thicker than a normal tortilla, because it is an art to rolling them thin like the store bought variety. I made Mexican rice in oil and chicken broth with onion, garlic, cilantro, tomato, cumin, and peppers. I used canned corn I still had from our Nairobi trip two months ago, but added fresh bell and chili peppers to make my own Mexicorn.

Our kitchen has a swinging door, so it was perfect for our little "restaurant!" After dinner they enjoyed decaf coffee. It is a rare treat. It is available in Nairobi, but is outrageously priced. Something many missionaries feel bad about using their money to buy for themselves. I borrowed a little from Theresa, with a promise to repay her when Luke and Riley arrive with some for me! With their coffee they were served chocolate cake with coconut icing. We even sang to Rachel and she blew out a little candle I had brought from home.

They had a leisurely dinner together enjoying each other's company. I am not sure who enjoyed it more though, them or me! I really love hosting events, showers, dinners, etc. and I was able to use my creativity in the way I love. I picked large and small leaves off our trees outside and scattered them on the table under the candles. Our plates we use here have blue flowers and green leaves on them. So as much as I could, I kept with the blue and green theme, and it actually worked! This was Rachel's first of many birthdays abroad, so I hope it was one she will remember fondly.

We are thankful for our friends and Missionary community here at Tenwek. We were able to take the Safari trip with the McLaughlins and look forward to getting to know them and the others even better while we are here.

Happy Birthday, Rachel!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! You are very creative! Looks like you will be working "miracle" of your own while you are there. God bless you both

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, This is Debbie Guggenberger. I am a friend of Jan's and she gave me your blog address through FB. It is so wonderful what you both are doing there. God will bless you and I know you will touch many lives while you are there. You little Liam is soooo sweet. Cherish those yrs, time will fly by quickly. When you kiss that little one, remember, you kiss the "face of God"! God bless you all. P.S. Tell Logan Andrea has 2 kids (girl-4; boy-1), Andrew has 2 (boy-3; girl-almost 1)and Lil' Joe just has twin boys on 2/26.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sister - this is FANTASTIC! I bet Chez Banks (or Casa Banks) is the best restaurant for miles :) You are so sweet to put so much time and effort into Rachel's birthday, but I know you totally had a BLAST throwing a themed party - that's just how we roll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a really sweet/romantic idea! I bet she LOVED it. Anything out of the ordinary is always fun.

    ReplyDelete