Friday, March 26, 2010

Surprises!

Yesterday was the big THREE-OH for me. Thirty years. I thought it was just going to be a quiet day and perhaps a little reflection. Our house helper, Nancy, so kindly told me the day before my birthday in her Kenyan/British accent, "You are increasing in weight. You have grown fat since you have come. Just ask Logan, he will confirm for you." Logan most certainly will not confirm! He better not.

While we celebrated Nancy's birthday at her house the 24th, I explained to her that a comment like that is not a compliment in our culture. (Especially the day before a woman turns 30, my goodness.) For them, to be thin means you are not eating well, or can not afford proper food. If you are heavy, then you have money to buy food and are being taken care of. Someone told me it could be a kind of backward compliment for herself and her cooking for us, specifically Chapati, my favorite. So, I shook the comment off. (ok not totally because here I am still thinking about it two days later.)

Back to my birthday. I had a wonderful morning. Liam and I joined Logan at the hospital. When we returned home, Liam's present to Mommy was a long nap! That gave me an opportunity to email and enjoy my sister's Happy Birthday blog!

Every Thursday afternoon, I teach a dance class for the young Missionary girls. The class deserves its own blog because it is such a blast. I promise that will come in the future. But yesterday, we began our class as usual doing the ballet positions, plie, pointe tendu, rond de jombe and others. All of a sudden, the moms and other long term women bust through the door singing Happy Birthday carrying a chocolate cake topped with a ballerina mouse one of the girls had. I was shocked! The girls squealed and pulled out beautiful homemade cards. They were full of wonderful pictures of us doing ballet, and one student even drew out every single position I have taught them! Since it was a surprise, I did not have a camera, but I gathered the cards and sweet gifts for you to enjoy.

They freely gave precious candy, lotion, Crystal Light, and even PopSecret popcorn! Claire said they only have three at their house, but she wanted me to have one. My heart was overflowing, and I am tearing up now even as I write. To keep a family atmosphere for the MK's, they call long term adults Aunt and Uncle. So many of the cards said "Aunt Julie." I felt so loved!

In the afternoon I had a leisurely visit with Linda Spreigle, an amazing long term wife. She is one that could write a book with all the things she does in the community. She really has a heart for Kenyans. I have seen her tear up talking about witnessing Kenyan residents grow and learn in the hospital even now after seeing it many years. She has been in Africa all of her adult life, so there is much to learn from her.

My only request on my birthday was that Logan make his yummy pizza! Not only did he make a mean pizza, but he did it while entertaining Liam. That is no small feat to cook while keeping our little guy out of trouble.

He let me enjoy a shower I did not have to rush through. Logan's pizza gets better and better! We blogged about our first pizza experience. It is still just as much fun, but the process is getting easier. We enjoyed pizza by candlelight, and then I headed to bible study.

All the new missionary women take part in a bible study each Thursday night lead by Theresa Manchester. It is always good to study the Word and share in the stresses that we are experiencing here in Kenya. Before I headed home, Alyssa casually said "hey do you want to borrow a movie or something for your birthday?" I shrugged and said "sure." I heard Alyssa had some episodes of The Office. We walked in to her place and SURPRISE!

Her living room was full of people wishing me Happy Birthday! Logan had gotten with the McCropDers and her and planned the whole thing! Rachel made a cake and Heather conspired to store the ice cream Logan bought. Ice cream is such a treat! He took a matatu to Bomet and bought three kinds for the party. The most intriguing was a bright orange kind called "Kesar Badam Pista." It includes saffron, pistachio, almond and cardamom. Just a reminder that no, we are not in Kansas anymore!

When I blew out my candle, I was careful to hold my hair back, so as not to do a repeat of my sister's 30th candle disaster! Logan had to tackle Kari to pat out the flames on her hair!

I finally got to open the presents from family that had been torturing me for a couple weeks! Kari had sent "flirty thrity" gear that I had given her at her party! So I proudly wore the sparkly 30 necklace.

Logan got me a french press for coffee, Obama gum (Obama is from a Kenyan tribe not far from here), a Swahili/English dictionary and chopsticks! Jan and Rick sent two seasons of The Office, so I didn't have to borrow from Alyssa afterall! My parents sent a bag of Churchills Sinless Pastry decaf coffee. Let me just tell you, that one got passed around the room and every person put their face up to the bag and smelled, just dreaming of how good it must taste!

I will never forget this birthday. My 30th! In Africa! Thank you to all my friends here who blessed me greatly, family and friends back home for sweet emails, cards, and gifts, and my wonderful husband. Logan worked hard to make me feel special and adored. And I do! Love you all.

3 comments:

  1. Sister! What a wonderful birthday - so full of love and joy! Please give everyone in Kenya a big bear hug and thank you from me for being your family on this very special birthday of yours. Yes, you will remember this birthday ALWAYS. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie- Happy birthday!!! I'm so glad you had a wonderful day surrounded by kind people who seem to be a great support system!!! I love all of the little (big) gift they gave you. I love the milk duds...haha. I also love your outfit in the picture where you're walking into the house. So cute! Cheers to 30 years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie, Just want you to know I'm enjoying reading your blogs, and Happy Birthday. Ashley had her 30th this year also, and you both are still as beautiful as when you were only 3. Andrea spent a summer in Ghana 2 years ago for an internship with an AIDS medical clinic. She loved it so much. Praying for you!
    Gwenda Plummer

    ReplyDelete