Tuesday, January 19, 2010

In the kitchen with the Banks



This weekend we got busy in the kitchen! I woke up Saturday morning and made pancakes from scratch. Yes, that is a first for me. I am a "Hungry Jack" or Bisquick girl. So I was proud that I made them with flour and baking powder, and the whole deal. They tasted alot better than the mixes, I will say that! I also made cookies in the afternoon to try out our oven. There are symbols on it that we don't know what they mean, and it is of course in Celsius. They went well and tasted delicious!

So Saturday night, we thought pizza sounded good! We walked to the Duka (previously pictured) to get some Cokes to go with it. Logan totally took the lead on the pizza. My Dad taught him the Larry secrets to pizza before we left. Logan made the dough, let it rise, kneaded it, rolled it, and baked it on both sides. He also made pizza sauce by reducing fresh tomatoes, basil, parsley, onion, garlic, and I'm not sure what other goodies! That aroma filled our place. We brought pepperoni from home, and we were so thankful that we did. With the pepperoni, we chopped up red, green and yellow bell peppers. We topped it with freshly cut mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. We baked it in our little oven and sat on the floor and just watched bake. It was such a fun night! We didn't actually eat until about 9:30, but let me tell you it was worth the wait! Oh, it was soooo good! You would never believe it was Logan's first pizza. It was perfection. We both are becoming more acquainted with the ways of the kitchen. I thought I was decent in cooking, but am finding out that I am "decent" for my generation. We are dealing with how things were done a couple generations ago! It's good for us.

Logan has been very busy with surgery. He was on call last night for his first Kenyan call! He only came in to sleep a couple hours, so I do not even know how it went yet. Hopefully he can blog this weekend to give the medical updates. We appreciate all of your prayers and support! Love you all,
Julie

1 comment: