Monday, May 31, 2010

Last day on Medicine



Friday was essentially my last day at the hospital. I have not been so good about taking my camera and capturing interesting cases or images, but I thought I should at least try on my last day. Here are just a few snapshots of some typical Tenwek diseases.


Ascaris. This worm emerged from a child who in fact had not even been treated for worms. The young boy is a trauma patient that had a head injury, and was on a ventilator in the ICU. I'm assuming the worm just got hungry after a few days, and crawled out of his body in search of food.


TB meningitis. This Maasai man looks great now and will be going home. What a contrast from the comatose state he was in when he arrived. It is amazing what just a few days of TB meds can do in these cases.


Kaposi's sarcoma. This patient had a CD4 count of about 30. This picture was taken after about a week of treatment, and the lesions were already starting to get smaller. He also had a lesion on the roof of his mouth, which you can see from our Picasa photo gallery.

1 comment:

  1. Hey you have not capture interesting snaps of people who are so ill. But the small kid in the starting is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete