Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pretty Bows and a Fresh Coat of Paint

Yesterday I actually got to use a little of my interest in decorating at the hospital. Jessica, the wife of the Ophthalmologist here, John Cropsey asked me to come take a look at John's office, exam room and the Eye Ward to see if I had any design suggestions. I had never been to the Eye Ward before. His exam room is kind of "dungeony" so we brainstormed ideas of what they could do in there, and in the rest of the ward to brighten it up. Little resources are available, but Jess could do some shopping in Nairobi for some things, but mostly a fresh coat of paint does a lot to any space!

While we were there, something happened that has not happened to me yet. Jess, Liam and I walked into the Eye Ward and I heard blood curdling screaming. It was painful to even hear! I quickly surveyed the room and saw a little boy about 6 years old squatting beside a bed. My instinct was to rush to him, but he was looking right at me and I figured out we were the reason he was screaming. Jess and I excused ourselves to another room to give him time to talk with his family. A translator came to us in a few minutes with the father of the boy. He apologized and said that this family is from deep in Masai country and this small boy had never seen a white person before. Perhaps he did not even know that people exist that look different. They explained to the crying boy that we are the same, and that our skin is just lighter. I took Liam out of his backpack and walked slowly back into the room. I set Liam down so the boy could see that he is just a child like him. The father shook my hand and even picked Liam up. Liam swiped the man's hat and tried to put it on Mommy's head. This made the boy laugh and he allowed his father to bring Liam to him. He would not look at him directly, or touch him, but at least he was not screaming.

As we walked out, I told Jess that probably seeing a white baby in my backpack contraption would be the equivalent to seeing an alien in a shiny silver space suit or something. Tenwek is large enough that theoretically a patient could come in, get treated, and leave without seeing a Westerner. This child would eventually be examined by John, but perhaps John was in surgery and the boy had not yet seen him, or even was not told that white people would be at the hospital at all!

While I was in hospital mode, I decided to track Logan down and see what he was up to. He is on Medicine this month, so I headed that direction, peeking through windows and doors looking for a tall, dark and handsome doctor.

He was in the female wards doing rounds with a Resident, Med Student and a Medical Officer. I got to listen to the Resident present the patients to Logan. Logan listened, and then would ask leading questions to make sure he had thought of everything.

I looked around the wards and smiled at anyone who made eye contact with me. Because there are not nearly enough nurses to do everything, the patients' family members are responsible for much of their care. They must feed them, give them water and chai, and change their bed pan.

It was great to see Logan in action and remind myself what he is seeing all day everyday while we are here. It was hard on me to see so many thin and sick people. The Lord really gives an extra measure of something to these doctors to be able to deal with all the pain they see. When Logan got a page, I excused myself along with him while he took the call.

As he was on the phone, a nurse asked me if I could help her put on a smock, or covering, (honestly I don't even know what it was!) I may not know anything about anything medical, but a bow I can tie! I whipped her around and tied the prettiest two bows this side of Lake Victoria! So I guess there are a few things I can do to help around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment