Monday, May 10, 2010

Super Kids in the Army of God!

For the past three weeks I have had the pleasure of working with the kids at our local church here, the Bethesda AGC (Africa Gospel Church) located on the hospital campus. We have been preparing a special skit to perform in the service on Mother's Day.

About 40 kids have been coming to rehearsals for three weeks on Sunday afternoons, rain or shine. Many of these kids have to walk quite a distance to come. Their dedication and willingness was encouraging for me when I would walk with Liam on my back in the pouring rain to get to rehearsal, even just the short distance I have to walk! People talk about "Africa time", but I will tell you, when it came to our play rehearsal, I was usually the last to arrive! The kids were there and ready to sing.

We practiced in a small meeting room at the hospital. I taught them two Hillsong Kids songs, On the March and Superhero. They also memorized some scripture (with actions). A few of the kids had speaking parts and did amazing!

Todd, an engineer who is spending a year at Tenwek working on some building projects, was a huge help, and star of the skit. He, as "Action Man", had lost all of his superpowers. He came to the Super Kids Army of God Training Camp to find his strength. (cue On the March - we put on the full armor of God).

He found out from the kids that even youths grow tired and weary, but their strength comes from the Lord. (Isaiah 40:29-31) And when Action Man put his trust in the Lord, he found out that Jesus is the real Superhero! (and cue music - Jesus is My Superhero)


I was the "drill sergeant" at the Super Kids Army of God Training Camp. So, I led the songs, dialogued with Action Man, and kept the recruits in line! I wish I had brought all my fun camo gear. But, with the long skirt rule and all, the best I could do was my old high school Student Council shirt and a cargo skirt borrowed from a friend!

Both of these Hillsong songs I have led before at Jamesriver Kids back home. But, it was so neat to hear these sweet Kenyan kids sing the words in their accent. Many of the kids do not really know English at all, or not very well. But they did amazing! The moms loved it too.

All in all, the kids did a great job and had fun being part of the service! A few of the kids stood on stage during worship and sang on mic which they thought was pretty cool.

Joel, one of the older Missionary Kids played piano during the offering and did a great job!

The kids handed out roses to all the women of church, and then a few of us handed roses out to some moms and nurses in the hospital.


So Mother's Day wasn't exactly "a day of rest" for me, but so rewarding nonetheless! I guess being a mother in general is not "restful," but full of rewards both here and now, and to come in Heaven. Praise the Lord for all of his wonderful children!

2 comments:

  1. So glad the performance turned out great. You made some special memories for these children, the Mothers, other members of the church and for you. Praise God in all things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very first thing i noticed was the trusty ole camo STUCO shirt . . . and i was thinking 'i'm so glad i'm not the only person still wearing that shirt!'

    then i read the actual post . . . and realized it was part of your costume for the skit! :O)

    ReplyDelete