Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sunday School

We only have one more Sunday left here in Kenya! It has been such an experience being a part of the local church here. It is surprisingly Western feeling during the service, but we do sing a couple Swahili songs a week. Please click here for a story you don't want to miss about one of the men's meetings after church recently. Things like this remind us that we are in fact in an African church.

I have had the opportunity to teach the children a couple times, and this Sunday was my last. We started outside with all the kids ages 6-12. Dr. Bemm had an object lesson to illustrate sin. Using an interpretor, he divided the kids into two groups facing each other. He had two boys stand at the front of the groups facing each other with a full cup of water. They pretended like they were angry with each other and threw the water on the other one. Of course, many kids got wet! This showed that when we sin against another person, it hurts not only that person, but will also hurt many people. I think the kids got it, and of course had fun being outside!

I then took the 6-8 year olds up to the hospital cafeteria and told them the story of Adam and Eve and the very first sin. It was nothing new to these kids, but I tried to make it exciting by acting out the whole thing playing the roles of Eve, Satan, Adam, and the voice of God. The kids got some laughs, but I know they were into it because when Eve finally gave in and took a bite of the fruit, all the kids gasped and some said "Noooo!"

We memorized Romans 6:23 as well. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Here is a small video clip of them learning the verse. You can also tell how they do speak English, but with a heavy accent that you have to tune your ear to hear.

Time was up before I knew it and we all headed back outside where Dr. Bemm was letting the kids have a shot at him with the water! This of course made their day!

Thanks again to Logan for keeping Liam while I help out with the kids. It's kind of a struggle since there is no nursery or anything for the babies, but we just take turns being responsible for him. In the end it is worth the sacrifice and I pray these children hide the Word in their hearts all the days of their lives.

1 comment:

  1. This is priceless, I love the video! Thanks for doing such a good job keeping us up to date on your adventures and treasured moments in Kenya. I know they will miss you and you will miss them! I CANNOT believe this was your last Sunday... you will be home soon! I know Kenya will always be in your heart, but we cannot wait to have your sweet selves back in the ole USA. I love you beyond words :) COME HOME!

    ReplyDelete